1) Write your ethnography on a reality show like Jersey Shore, Shahs of Sunset, the Kardashians, Big Brother. You’ll want to write about the general culture of the people or you could focus more specifically on a social dynamic – language, gender, ethnicity, etc. Are there power differences between the cast? Do people dress a certain way? If so, why? Is the show targeted for a certain gender/class/race demographic? If you choose this option, in the conclusion, you must reflect on whether you think the show is exploitative and what it says about our culture that so many people follow these shows. You’ll probably need to watch several episodes to get a full picture. You don’t need to watch more than a season.
* 6 page paper
* 12 point font, Times New Roman, 1″ margins
* At least 2 peer reviewed sources (instructions in announcements)
1. 6 pages double-spaced, Times New Roman, 12 point font, 1-inch margins, page numbers on the bottom right of each page.
- References Cited page that is not included in the page limit.
- At least 2 peer reviewed academic references in your review of the literature.
- Peer reviewed academic references are found through the Santa Fe Library database. Websites like NASA or National Geographic do not count. Ask a librarian if you don’t know what a peer reviewed scholarly article is or if you need help finding one.
- Your paper must have a strong and clear thesis statement (your main argument). Your thesis should drive your entire paper. You will need to complete your research and data analysis before you begin your paper because that is the only way to establish your thesis. You cannot start writing your paper before knowing the main argument you are trying to make. The thesis could be that countries have different success rates with the coronaviruses because they have safer culturally informed practices. Or, it could be that women of the Real Housewives of Orange County are deliberately mean to each other to garner attention.
- You must give your paper a catchy, creative title, as if it were an ethnographic book. “A Mini-ethnography on the Santa Fe Baseball Team” does not draw the reader in as much as “Homeruns to Havana: An ethnography of Cuban American culture among Santa Fe College baseball players”. Have fun with the title.
- A word of caution: I will submit each of your papers to Turnitin to check for plagiarism. All un-cited scholarship will be considered plagiarism and you will earn you a zero on the assignment.
- Please note that you will not be able to complete this assignment the night before it’s due. Ethnography is a lot of work. You need a great deal of observational, interview or survey data to make an insightful analysis. In other words, you can’t slack on this paper and hope that I don’t notice. I am an ethnographer. I will notice.