Infectious disease occurs worldwide and must be addressed just as chronic disease is approached. This assignment will present the learner an opportunity to explore a communicable disease, to apply the epidemiological triad, and to discern the demographic and at-risk background data for a specific infectious disease agent.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assessment, the student will meet the following Course Outcomes.
- Identify appropriate outcome measures and study designs applicable to epidemiological sub-fields such as infectious disease, chronic disease, environmental exposures, reproductive health, and genetics. (CO3)
- Identify important sources of epidemiological data. (CO6)
Due Date: by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT of Week 5
Students are expected to submit assignments by the time they are due. Assignments submitted after the due date and time will receive a deduction of 10% of the total points possible for that assignment for each day the assignment is late. Assignments will be accepted, with penalty as described, up to a maximum of three days late, after which point a zero will be recorded for the assignment. Quizzes and discussions are not considered assignments and are not part of the late assignment policy.
Total Points Possible: 125
- Apply the concepts of population health and epidemiology to one of the following infectious diseases: (Choose one from the following list for your paper.)
- Community Acquired Pneumonia
- Infectious Diarrhea
- Hepatitis B
- Tick-borne Encephalitis
- Synthesize Course content from Weeks 1-5 according to the following sections:
- Introduction: Analysis of the communicable disease (causes, symptoms, mode of transmission, complications, treatment) to include demographic break down that includes age, gender, race, or other at-risk indicators (data per demographics should include mortality, morbidity, incidence, and prevalence).
- Determinants of Health: Define, identify and synthesize the determinants of health as related to the development of the infection. Utilize HP2020.
- Epidemiological Triad: Identify and describe all elements of the epidemiological triad: Host factors, agent factors (presence or absence), and environmental factors. Utilize the demographic break down to further describe the triad.
- Role of the NP: Succinctly define the role of the nurse practitioner according to a national nurse practitioner organization (National Board of Nursing or AANP, for example) and synthesize the role to the management of infectious diseases (surveillance, primary/secondary/tertiary interventions, reporting, data collecting, data analysis, and follow-up). This includes the integration of a model of practice which supports the implementation of an evidence-based practice. Refer to your course textbook for models of practice examples.
Preparing the paper
- Application: Use Microsoft Word™ to create the written assessment.
- Length: The paper (excluding the title page and reference page) should be limited to a maximum of four (4) pages. Papers not adhering to the page length may be returned to you for editing to meet the length guidelines.
- A minimum of three (3) scholarly research/literature references must be used. CDC or other web sources may be utilized but are not counted towards the three minimum references required. Your course text may be used as an additional resource but is not included in the three minimum scholarly references.
- APA format current edition.
- Include scholarly in-text references and a reference list.
- Adhere to the Chamberlain College of Nursing academic policy on integrity as it pertains to the submission of student created original work for assignments.
- Do not write in the first person (such as “me” “I”)
Best Practices in Preparing the Project
The following are best practices in preparing this project:
- Review directions and rubric thoroughly.
- Follow submission requirements.
- Make sure all elements on the grading rubric are included. Organize the paper using the rubric sections and appropriate headings to match the sections.
- Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal, scientific writing.
- Title page, running head, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the current edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section of the paper except for the introduction where no heading is used.
- Ideas and information that come from scholarly literature must be cited and referenced correctly.
- A minimum of three (3) scholarly literature references must be used. **See above section on “Preparing the Paper”.
- Abide by Chamberlain College of Nursing academic integrity policy.
This assignment will be run through Turn It In. Your second submission will be considered final and subject to grading.
||Comprehensive description of the infectious disease (causes, symptoms, mode of transmission, complications, treatment) and the demographic of interest (mortality, morbidity, incidence, and prevalence). Integrate at risk aggregate populations with related descriptive epidemiology.
|Determinants of Health
||Robust identification and description of the determinants of health with explanation of how those factors contribute to the development of this disease. Evidence supports background.
||Comprehensive review of the epidemiological triad (host factors, agent factors (presence or absence), and environmental factors). Uses example/s, resources, to fully describe the triad.
|Role of the NP
||Succinctly defines the role of the nurse practitioner according to a national nurse practitioner organization (Board of Nursing, AANP, for example) and synthesize the role to the management of infectious diseases (surveillance, primary/secondary/tertiary interventions, reporting, data collecting, data analysis, and follow-up). This includes the integration of a model of practice which supports the implementation of an evidence-based practice.
||Total CONTENT Points=110 pts
||All elements of the paper utilize APA Format current ed.
||All elements of the paper correctly utilize spelling, grammar and a scholarly voice.
||Total FORMAT Points=15 pts
||ASSIGNMENT TOTAL=125 points