Choose a medication type from the following list, note why the medication is used, and consider adverse effects. Invent a scenario where giving this medication could result in an ethical or legally charged situation. Try not to choose a category that has been well addressed by your peers.
- Bethanaechol / cholinergics: Consider risks of inducing urgency or bradycardia in a clients with dementia issues
- Benztropine /anticholinergics: Consider harms that can occur with comorbidities like glaucoma or BPH
- Albuterol /adrenergics: Consider harms that can occur is asthmatic children are in charge of their own inhalers
- Atenolol/ beta blockers: Consider harms that could occur if heart rate was low or patient was asthmatic
- Lorazepam /benzodiazepines: Consider vulnerability issues related to sedation and induction of memory loss
- Oxycodone / opiates: Consider addiction, drug seeking and patient vulnerability in impaired nurses
- Amitriptylline /tricyclics: Consider vulnerability issues with risk of suicidal overdose given anticholinergic effects
- Phenelzine /MAOIs: Consider consequences of nonadherence to dietary restrictions on these medications
- Haloperidol / neuroleptics: Consider risks of chemical sedation, especially long term risks
- Lithium: Consider risks of mismanagement by clients whose behaviors are unpredictable
- Phenytoin / antiepileptics: Consider risks of Class D in young women vs risks of going without anti-epileptics
- Secobarbital / barbituates: Consider risks related to availability of barbituates to teens via the internet
- Kava or Valerian: Consider risks of availability of compounding poorly controlled over the counter sedatives
- Sumatriptan / triptans: Consider risks of cerebral ischemia when giving vasoconstrictors for migraine control
- Cyclobenzaprine for back spasms: Consider risks of impaired function when nurses take muscle relaxants
- Prednisone / steroids: Consider long term effects, when other immune suppressors are too expensive to access.
- Aspirin / NSAIDs: Consider vulnerability of elders due to over the counter, affordable nature of this analgesic
The post Module 02 discussion – ethical dilemmas in medication administration | Pharmacology appeared first on Australia Assessments.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"