Ten Years of Collecting Ocean Exploration Data from NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer
This brief and easy assignment introduces you to important ocean research being conducted by the
United States National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Many people are not aware of the
basic research being conducted in our planet’s most unexplored frontier – the ocean basins.
Go to the Ten Years of Collecting Ocean Exploration Data from NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer website.
1. What is the Okeanos Explorer? When was it commissioned and what is its mission?
2. What exploration objectives of the President’s Panel for Ocean Exploration (2000) does the Okeanos
Explorer allow NOAA to pursue?
3. Watch the video. Researchers discuss the importance of ‘telepresence’ and ‘community-driven ocean
exploration’ facilitated by the Okeanos Explorer. What is meant by these concepts? Why are they
important to oceanic research, management of the ocean floor, and public education?
4. In your opinion, what is the ‘true value’ of taxpayer-supported research such as that conducted by the
5. Click on the ‘Stories’ button. Read the six stories. On the following page, write a one-half page
summary (double-spaced, Calibri font, 11 to 12-point font) of the one research story which intrigues you
the most. Be sure to state why you find this story the most intriguing of all six!
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.